Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Surgery day

I've put this day off for a couple years now. I know it might seem weird to be somewhat excited for a surgery but this was something I chose to do to improve my quality of life and hopefully decrease pain. Our bodies can do strange things and modern medicine can help us, and I feel that it's important to take care of problems we have if we are able to. I also find it important to talk about the things that happen to us and our bodies. If I can make one less person feel less alone with a similar issue that will make me happy.

Many of you have asked what type of surgery I had. What I had done today was called a lateral internal sphincterotomy. According to Wikipedia, it is an operation performed on the internal sphincter muscle for the treatment of chronic fissure. The internal anal sphincter is one of two muscles that comprise the sphincter which controls the passage of bodily waste. Yup that's probably too much information but what I learned through this process was that some of my friends have the same or similar problems. Some have gone to doctors as well. It really is a very common problem especially after childbirth. 

When basic treatment didn't work and having Nolan caused more pain, I knew it was time to do something about it. I could complain about it everyday, or I could be proactive and try to fix the issue and that's what the goal of today was.

It was my first surgery besides at the dermatologist or wisdom teeth. The birth and the colonoscopy really helped prepare me, and I feel much more comfortable in a hospital setting with Ivs and being put under. Of course anytime anesthesia is involved and a surgery happens there are risks but I tried to just focus on the positives. I was so glad when I woke up, and the doctor told me everything went well. My experiences lately at Piedmont hospital and with my doctors has been wonderful! It's great to feel confident and like your health is well taken care of.

Today I am feeling sore and tired but overall doing pretty well. They said the first week will be the toughest with a three to four week recovery. The no heavy lifting is going to be a challenge. They suggested no lifting over 20 pounds and of course Nolan is just over 20 pounds now. I'm going to take it as easy as I can and ask for help as much as possible while I heal. It's a new experience being a Mom and also needing to take care of yourself. It really does take a village, and I'm very thankful for my family and friends. Thanks to my sweet husband for driving me and waiting in the waiting room for me. Thank you to my parents for watching Nolan today while we were unable. And thanks for to mother in law for helping too and my friends who texted me and sent their well wishes! I appreciate you all! 

4 comments:

  1. Girl! I'm glad you're surgery went well. I'll be praying that you have a quick and easy recovery. Let's get together once you're all healed and let me know if you need anything in the mean time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shelby!! I would love to get together soon once I'm back to normal! I've been thinking about you and hoping your transition into your new career is going smoothly! I'll be in touch!

    ReplyDelete

Frequently viewed posts